Thursday, October 18, 2007

Mamet and The Shark Tank

So, I kind of feel like I'm beating a dead horse since we talked about this SO much already, but here goes...

I think Mamet's assertions about the marketing world are comparative to a shark tank. Marketers view their customers as minnows swimming around in circle after circle just waiting to be sold to, or eaten up by the marketing sharks. I am of the opinion that the world of marketing is not a very just, fair, or ethical one, but such is life. Mamet says that anything that can be sold will be sold, no matter if the buyer intended to buy it or not. Marketing is a cut throat business, and there are only so many consumers out there before you have to start "recycling the leads," so I guess Mamet is ultimately saying you better kill or be killed.

His characters are desperate, nervous, angry, and at times utterly stupid. Inside their fishbowl there's not far they can go without running in to glass, and there's only so much food to feast on before someone dies from starvation. The top sellers then become the sharks, and the bottom half of the chalkboard are now the minnows.

I can safely say the marketing tank is NOT the pond I want to swim in. I think I'd be better suited in the colorful world of Nemo!

P.S. The Cowboys LOST, so at least I didn't have to see the massacre!

No comments: